Have you noticed that people on the liberal (for lack of a better title... and I know, not all liberal leaners are this way) side of the debate really resort to name calling and ridicule for their debate? Maybe you'd think both sides are that way, and to an extent, they are. BUT... how about this...
A forum I frequent (runners) has a debate and vote going on about the national health care plan. The vote has gone this way:
26.9% like the health care plan
11.5% are neutral
61.5% don't like the plan
I think this could be a pretty fair sampling of the United States... people are from all over the US, from all different walks of life, and both genders are probably represented pretty equally.
So, here's the weird part... pages of comments, and guess who the overwhelming majority of commenters are? Those who like the health care plan. And I have no doubt why... the few brave souls who have dared to voice their opinion against the heath care bill have been insulted, ridiculed, and called names. They've been called racist, even though they said nothing about the president's color of skin. (Apparently if you disagree with his policies it has to do with his race.) They've been accused of being heartless, because they don't want their hard earned money taken away to pay for everyone's health care. They've been accused of "not thinking for themselves and just listening to whatever Glenn Beck tells them to do". They've been called "deluded"... it goes on. I've also seen this other places on the internet today too... And honestly, those who are against the health care plan haven't been attacking anyone personally, they've just been expressing their concern. Oh, and this forum is actually really mild... they're known for their acceptance and kindness towards all.
So, what's the deal? Can we not discuss things in a respectful way? Can we not realize that someone who has different views might have also researched before they made their opinion? Can we not realize that those with different views might also be kind and intelligent? And yes, if someone says something really stupid, you have every right to think they're stupid, but do you have to resort to 3rd grade name calling?
13 comments:
AMEN SISTER!!!
That seems to be the way you can recognize the side that doesn't have a leg to stand on. They can't back up what they have to say so they insult instead. ;)
I LOVE your post. Josh and I were just reading some comments that were made on one of my friends FB status and go figure, the one who as all about the healthcare plan was using terrible language and was name-calling. Thanks for your post.
If this were foceboom I would have pressed the like button
My favorite today has been all the many insinuations that if you don't support government run healthcare then you are not Christ like. In fact, you shouldn't even call yourself a Christian.
I tell you, anarchy is the way to go.
And if I hear "Jesus said to pay taxes" one more time in response to what I say, I'm going to . . . turn the other cheek (but I'd like to punch someone in the face).
Mindy, you're a dumb poo poo head.
My favorite comment I've seen was this (after someone asked about the health care plan, and a few had responded):
"Lol this will be entertaining...I'll wait a little to weigh in and break it down for you Lindsey. First I want to see the ignorant masses spew forth insanity."
totally agree. Wow has there been some craziness started as a result...
Can I share what you said on my blog or on FB? I really liked what you said!
Interesting observation. You are right, in my opinion. Sigh. This HEALTH care reform makes me SICK!
Totally agree with you. It was the same thing with proposition 8.
By the way. I LOVE your 'new' bedroom set!
Don't you know that if we don't agree with Hollywood (like James Cameron and others) or the party in power, you are narrow-minded, driven by fear, phobic (enter whatever prefix you want), hateful bigots who are too stupid to think for ourselves? I guess we should all just realize that no matter how thoughtful, educated, and well-read we are as we make our own decisions, we're just not smart enough to think without their help.
Post a Comment