What is up with the recent mass exodus from facebook? Just about every day another of my friends makes the grand announcement that they are leaving facebook, with choruses of "good for you" "you're awesome" "I need to do that too". And I'm left thinking why? What's the big deal? Am I a horrible awful person because I find facebook useful and not completely harmful?
Okay, yeah, it isn't "real"... but it enhances real relationships. I'm a busy person... I don't have time to call all of my friends every day, but with facebook I can find out that a friend has a sick little one, and I can ask her how she's doing the next time I see her, or I can find out that another friend is having a very bad day, and then I know I need to call her. I can make arrangements at midnight to go to a movie with a friend the next day.
Okay, yeah... there have been studies of affairs that started on facebook. Guess what? People have affairs with people they meet at work, at church, at the gym... should we quit all those? It's about self control. You can find that stuff anywhere if you're looking for it.
Okay, yeah... it wastes time. You don't have to spend a lot of time on there, though. And if you're a "time waster" you're not going to magically have hours in your day once you've quit the evil facebook. You know, I know I probably spend too much time on there, but I also probably watch a lot less tv than most people.
So... people can come and go on facebook as they like... I can't make you stay. I just don't understand why it's the noble and cool thing to do all of a sudden. What's up?
14 comments:
It seems like you only use facebook for socializing, so that's probably why you don't understand. Some people might get really involved with the games on there, or other things, and it takes up a lot of their time. If they quit facebook, they don't have that temptation. It's just like if you had a video game system, and you were spending hours a day on it, if you got rid of it, that's one less time wasting temptation. Sure those people will probably find other ways to waste time, but if you can cut out temptations for time wasting, why not? I don't see a problem with it.
I chose to leave because #1. I've had a nagging feeling for awhile that I needed to. #2. My sister in law just had some creep {not a "friend"} send her messages asking her to do nasty things with him.
I hate to leave; I love it for the same reasons you do. I might join in on Travis' account but not for the "affair" crap, maybe it's a little safer from the creeps though?
i was going to say what brenda said!
i hate facebook just because i don't want to 'friend' people from high school but if they want to friend me i can't say no...i'm just a wuss! plus i'd rather just blog.
i do like that it's one more way to stay in touch with family.
i have noticed though that it seems like some girls are on there constantly playing all of those games. i remember a few years ago one of the general authorities gave a talk and told women to basically not spend all day on the computer. it made an impression on me for some reason. i think sometimes it's our only link to the outside world.
i agree with you too...i watch way less tv but i do spend probably too much time on this stupid computer!;D
For me, it's a socialization thing. Somedays, it's my only contact with the outside world. And I have a lot of really good friends on facebook, who are more than just old friends from high school or neighbors! I don't let myself get caught up in the games, BUT, they are nice to sit and play in the evenings when I have nothing else going on and there is nothing on TV. And like you said, affairs happen everywhere. Not just on facebook. I spend way too much time on facebook, however, that i do know. I could be doing worse things!
I totally agree with you. I never uderstood why the announcement that someone is leaving facebook is met with joyous choruses of congratulations. I don't get to leave my house very often (for a few reasons)and facebook is my connection to my friends and my ward sisters. I have made many friendships stronger and reconnected with some old friends. It has opened the door for missionary work and given me a space to help other people. I won't be leaving facebook anytime soon. Amen.
Mindy, you are 100% right about this. Everything you said is relevant and right. People who waste time are going to waste it one way or another. Facebook is an awesome resource for keeping in touch with friends, as well as for marketing your business.
Also, it's very easy to block people on there if you have a freak sending you weird things.
I'm with Candace. I love it--and I check it a few times a day for a few minutes each. I'm not into any of the games, but i love to get quick advice or to connect with a friend quickly. (both of which I do with you on fb!) Finding balance in our lives is always a delicate issue.
While I haven't "quit" facebook, I don't get on there very often for two reasons. One, I am a teacher in a very small, very cliqueish town and lately, facebook has been used to bash the school--literally, for whatever one particular group can think of. It's gotten out of hand and tends to put those of us that work there on the defensive (and I've never been on the receiving end of one of their rants but I don't want to see it if I am.) The second reason is that we have found ourselves estranged from my husband's family and I discovered that my m.i.l. was lifting my pics and any info she could get about my kids from my page. So, while my situation may or may not be different from others, I can say that I enjoyed facebook and feel like it's been ruined by those who don't use it well. It's a two-sided coin.
I see people's reasons for staying/going. Each person is different, etc. Right. Fine.
But I too don't get the leaving facebook on a white horse with your hero's cape flying behind you.
I don't do any games, but I love that it gives me the chance to catch up with people who don't bother blogging, or to record tidbits from my day, etc. You know...
And call me naive, but I had no idea people really got into affairs via facebook. That never ever crossed my mind. But it's true that it can be found SO MANY other places, and ususally when you're feeling secure about leaving the place you were sure it was bound to find you.
Nuff said.
Good rant. :)
I agree with you. Its called self control.
Im with the many others who enjoy their facebook. I have got in touch with so many people that I had lost contact with over the years. Yes, I understand that there can be a bad side to it. I guess everyone knows what that is. If you choose to leave......Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.....If you stay...YEAH!
Mindy! Hi! Don't mind my overuse of exclamation points!! I'm making sure to waste lots of time today, not only on facebook, but blog surfing and it had been a while since I'd caught up on your fab family. This post warrented a comment simply because I totally agree and totally am guilty of being said time waster. Also I should note facebook just wouldn't be the same without your daily workout log. Somedays I may curse your blessed ability but overall it is motivating. ;) so thanks. Hopefully we'll run into each other soon and keep being amazing!!!
Post a Comment