Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Dinosaur National Monument
Last Saturday we went on a mini vacation to Dinosaur National Park. We had a great time, but it was HOT! Here's the picture to prove it:
Yes, that says 100 degrees. The ranger told us that it was about 115 degrees out in the rocks on hikes. Sorry there are so many pictures! I just couldn't leave any of these out! This might turn out to be our "big" summer family vacation anyway, so I better make it look like it, right?
Here are my three boys, starting on one of our micro-hikes. We didn't do anything longer than a hop skip and a jump, since it was so ridiculously hot. We're going to go back and do some of the longer hikes earlier in the morning.
We got to see some neat petroglyphs! This one was one of my favorites. I think the guy is waving hello.
It's amazing that these have lasted for hundreds of years! It was sad to see a few of them ruined by people who thought they were funny... carving their initials and such.
Another micro hike in 115 degree heat. Isn't it beautiful, though?
This is by Split Mountain... I love this place! We got to see it in the winter, too. I was very envious of these rafters. I wouldn't have minded getting a little bit wet at that point.
I love how the boys' heads in this picture are perfectly angled with the wall. I also love how Cooper and Brandon are mirror images... almost.
This was probably my favorite part of the trip. There's a cabin way up in the park... totally secluded from anything else. A woman named Josie lived there without running water or anything mostly by herself. After enjoying the cool shade and soaking in the beautiful surroundings, I could really understand why she stayed. I could live there.
There's a hike here that we need to take later... this leads out to where Josie kept her hogs, in a natural canyon pen.
Here's chicken in the Cooper Coop. Or wait... maybe Cooper in the chicken coop.
Josie's cabin.

This picture is a sad/funny story. Cooper saw a little lizard and wanted to catch it... and he did. Unfortunately he didn't catch the entire lizard, just the tail. So he's holding up this tail, which is still wiggling (gross) and yelling "I pulled its tail off!" Brandon and I are trying to shush him, because everyone was looking at us. Really, we weren't trying to rip lizards apart! We hope the poor little lizard grows his tail back.
Me next to the pond. Josie made these ponds so she could keep the water from her natural springs... otherwise they would flow into the main river and become someone else's water because of water rights laws.
This spot was so peaceful!
Inside Josie's cabin. I enjoyed playing around with taking pictures in the warm lighting.

The kids thought we could all live in the cabin. Teeny cabin... dirt floor... no running water.... SURE! Why not?
If you click on the above picture, it will make it big and you can read the scoop on Josie's cabin.
Cooper can't leave sticks and water without playing with them first. This little stream ran along the front of the cabin.
Cooper showing the little doorways. My head barely cleared the top of this door.
Out in the back field.
Cute boy by woodpile. That's the official name of this picture. I might get it framed. ;)
This is the green river camping spot that we're going to come back to in a few weeks. There, I said it. Now we have to go back.
Okay, now this is where we REALLY could live. It's the Daniels-Chew Ranch right smack in the middle of Dinosaur National Monument.
This view was amazing! We loved the contrast of colors all over Dinosaur, and the different types of rocks and mountains.
Our three Junior Rangers, being officially sworn in. Cooper kept saying the ranger pledge over and over again on the way home. They got neat patches and a badge. They had to work hard all day to fill out the booklets, and learn all about their surroundings so they could become Junior Rangers. Tyler has decided that he wants to be a Park Ranger, or a Forest Ranger when he grows up.
Tyler and Cooper, playing with the ant traps in a little cave. They were fascinated by how you barely touched the hole and it would fill with sand.
All in all, it was a great day! We bought a year pass, so we can go back often. (It was the same price as going 2 times, so we decided that we would go at least one more time, so it was worth it.) How cool is it that we live so close to this place where people come from all over the world to see?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
We'll have to come see that place with you sometime. I've never been there.
Looks like an awesome vacation to me! LOVE IT! I have always wanted to go there!!!
Way to make the best of your summer!
beautiful pictures!!!! that is what i call a vacation!!!!! i love the out doors and the mountains and all that jazz (maybe cause i've never experienced the other kind of vacation- suites, villas, room service, etc)
Mindy looks like fun! I love the name Josie. So are you willing to live with dirt floors?
We'd love to go again with any of you! Come on over! Melissa... I don't think I'm willing to live with dirt floors. Even MY kitchen floors are better than dirt! ;)
Look slike fun.. We missed Aubrey while she was gone. I have missed running with you too. What Am I going to do?
very pretty place to visit, I could never live in a cabi without water. It looks like fun, I'm glad you got a vacation. How is Coopers exima?
Hey, I love that place! We went there with my mom a couple of years back. Wasn't that little lady just amazing??? I love stuff like that.
looks like an interesting place that is beautiful too. i totally love the name josie although i'm not sure what ol' josie was doing. i do see the value in being away from the world in nature. i loved your pictures. maybe we'll come down and see it with you too. you guys are going to be plum sick of that place.
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
Mindy, you have been tagged, go to my blog for directions.
Post a Comment