First of all, I have to thank everyone who donated and supported me and Aubrey in other ways too... we were able to raise more than we hoped because of kind and generous friends!
I am SO tired, and SO sore, and I have to get ready for girls camp, and I'm pretty sure moving my body right now is an impossible feat. I'm really glad I did this, though. I got to know people better, learned things about myself, and saw many brave cancer survivors and heard many inspiring stories.
I walked and walked and walked, and at 2:00 a.m. I ran for an hour. I was really tired after the running, but it was truly a nice break from walking for my body. My legs were saying, ah yes, now this is what we're used to. :) I walked 15 miles and ran 6, for a total of 21 miles, 84 laps around the track.
There was a boy there who was determined to run 160 laps in honor of his grandpa who died just 3 days ago. From his diagnosis to his final day was 160 days, so this runner wanted to fight through that many laps, to symbolize each day his grandpa fought cancer. His was running his final laps while I was running my 6 miles, and he was really struggling on his final lap. There were a couple of boys who joined him to encourage him, and I joined too. We encouraged him, and made him keep going that final lap (this is 40 miles... to put some perspective on it) and he made it. It was a neat experience... and the crazy thing was, he was back out there running again after a brief rest.
Aubrey didn't sleep a wink the entire night and had a blast walking 15 miles and running around playing with her group of friends (mostly kids from our ward). I was proud of her for her dedication to the relay and so glad she could do this with me.
I have pictures, but I'm far too tired to mess with that right now. I'll get some up another time... probably after girls camp. Thanks again for all of your encouragement and support!!
5 comments:
I am so proud of you! I can't even imagine what it would take to do that. You are amazing!
Way to go! I've never done a Relay for Life, but Ryan's sister and her husband do one at Weber State in Ogden. I think it's for a great cause! :)
That sounds like a great experience! I'm glad you could do it!
That is such a awesome thing to do. What a neat story about that boy. Love motivates us to do hard things.
Congratulations! Nice that you could do that with Aubrey. Have fun at girls camp. I'm glad my girls will be going without me this year!
Post a Comment