(the picture has no significance... just my picture of the day)
Do you choose to let your daughter go to her championship softball game and get to see rarely seen family for only a couple of hours (missing out on a lot of sleep and driving until the wee hours of the morning), or do you miss the championship softball game to buy a few more hours with that family?
Do you continue to do something that isn't really benefiting you, just to spare feelings of a friend?
Do you spend money to list your house on the mls system and risk paying the buyer's realtor 3%, when you're worried that you might not even be able to sell your house for what you owe, and maybe not even sell it at all?
How do you decide what to charge for your photography services? And how do you make pictures bigger on blogger without using an outside hosting source?
What do you do when you spend more time helping someone who is supposed to be helping you than it would take to just do things yourself?
How? Why??? When????? Answer me, please!

8 comments:
ok...do you really want answers to these questions? or are you just venting? well...I will give you my opinions k?
about the game....i would totally take her to the game. I have sacrificed a lot for my boys, but it has been totally worth it. Her game is here and now,,,where your family will always be your family, even if you don't get to see them much. I would choose the game.
next question....i think that totally depends on what you are doing, how happy it makes you, and how close of a friend that person is. i think that one is a "it depends on the the details" question.
the next 2 questions..i really don't know. but you have an art with your photography,,,,don't shortchange yourself! not everyone can do what you do...reward yourself for that!
and the last one...that depends on who it is i think. if it's your kids your talking about..then it's a teaching thing. if it's someone older then hmmmm...i would probably do it myself.
how's that for mumble jumble. ;)
oh and i love your pic. i commented on fb about it.
Tanya, YES I really want answers! (And it is partially venting... ;) Your answers helped. Thank you!!
I have to agree with Tanya...go to the softball game. It's a payoff for her hard work for the season. Rarely seen family will have less of an impact on her life that the opportunity to finish what she started on the field. Invite the family. :)
Depends on the friend and situation. If it's something that is providing a needed service then continue and feel charitable. :) If it's not needed then say after this date I'm not going to be able to continue because of circumstances in my life.
The MLS one is tough. It certainly gets you more exposure. But there are some other options you can look at. I thought you weren't moving now?
You are a great photographer. There are a lot of families who can't afford some of the outrageous prices photogs charge. The girl we've used for about 5 years is great. And she's affordable. She charges $150 (that was last year) for a family session that lasts about an hour. She does a little editing and then gives you the DVD. She is constantly booked. She has a huge repeat clientele. She's good and I can afford quality pictures of my family a couple times a year.
The last one is the same as number two. Is that person helping you because they need the opportunity to serve? I like you would rather do it myself, but realize that sometimes the opportunity for someone to serve is worth more than my time. And I'll reap the blessings someday right?
1. I'd let her go to the game. I liked the previously mentioned idea of inviting the family...they may not come, but at least you invited them.
2. I have no idea, and thus no opinion.
3. I have loads of opinions about what to charge for your photography services...shoot me an email me if you want my full, unabridged, and biased opinion. What you charge when you are first starting out makes a difference down the road.
4. You just described my life with my kids!
:)
Hey Mindy, I definitely agree with what the other girls said about the game.
And about the phototgraphy stuff... I sent you my price list and I think that is extremely reasonable, you have a great talent, so like the other girl said, don't short change yourself! And if you don't want to use flickr because of the charge, you may try photobucket. I think it's totally free. I'm not sure about it, because I've never used it for my blog pictures, but it's worth a shot to give it a try. And please feel free to keep emailing me about the photography stuff. I'm still learning too, so any advise you have to offer, I'd love to hear and anything you want to ask, I'll do my best to answer! Please don't hesitate ever to call on me! :)
okay i'm here to answer the how to make the pictures bigger. when you are writing your post if you go into html your picture has a code. in that code you need to erase the height and width px's and then change your s400 to s640 then you will have pictures the size that mine are...but then that will create a whole new set of qestions because then you will be asking how to change the sidebars widths so that it doesn't cut off your pictures on the sides, and well that takes a whole different html in your layout. i can try to help more if you want to embark in that ride.
oh and let her go to the championship.
it sounds like you need a girls night out to vent. marci and i had talked about coming out to visit you. would you be up to it in the next few weeks? oh, and i paid 150 for a sitting fee a few years back and you are SOOOOO much more talented than the lady i used. it's so hard to put a price on time and talent... do not short change yourself!!!! make it worth every minute you spend away from your family (even though i know you enjoy it.) oh, and i think you should set aside one day everyother month to do families in utah county (you can stay at my house if you need) and book the whole day out. just my thoughts... hope your stress level has dropped. oh, and i don't know if you heard, but marci's dad died yesterday. just fyi...
Post a Comment