Monday, August 18, 2008

All in Fun, OR Time to Get Pepper Spray?

I had an... interesting? experience today on my 6 mile run. I never felt like I was really in danger, but I did have some scary thoughts going through my head. So, tell me... should I be scared?

I'm running along a fairly well-traveled road, and all of a sudden I sense a truck driving along right behind me, very slowly. I ignored it for a minute, then glanced over. 2 guys were in the truck, and when I looked they kind of laughed. I just kept running. After a minute, driver guy (the only one who talked) said,

"We're just running security for you."

Me: "I'm fine". (I wave goodbye.)

Guy: "Oh, I know."

I run on, trying to ignore them, thinking, "Where in the heck are any other cars? Where are any other people? What if this guy just jumps out of his truck and grabs me?" It felt like FOREVER that we went along like that. Then the guy says something, but I didn't hear what, so I ignored it. Then, again...

"Are you married?"

Me: "Yes!" and a brilliant afterthought comes out of my mouth, "And I have THREE KIDS."

They drove off.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I found your blog through V & Co. I run on country roads with DD in the jogging stroller. While I haven't had any problems with weird/strange/freaky people, I have had way more encounters with dogs than I would like. I carry pepper spray with me, and am looking at getting a bb gun to carry with me (I'm leery of using pepper spray with DD around), and I always carry my cell phone with me. When DD is with me, everything goes in the stroller. On the rare occasions I'm able to run without her, I have to make sure I have a fuel belt to put everything in. I'd rather carry extra stuff and not need it, than not bring it and need it.