Sunday, June 01, 2008

Baby Calf

I was reminded today by my family that I forgot to blog about this exciting event! We were on Grandpa Lauritz's farm for part of Memorial Day weekend, and Brandon, Cooper, and I went for a walk on Sunday afternoon. Brandon was telling me that a baby calf was born the night before, and I was sad because I didn't get to see it. Right after that conversation, we were right by the field with the pregnant mothers and baby calves, and Brandon said he thought one was about to have a baby right then... and she was! It was probably about 1/2 hour, and we made grandma hold lunch... sorry Lynda!... but the kids (Aubrey and Tyler both came out too, to see what was keeping us) and I got to see a baby calf being born in real life for the first time. Cooper says it's neat and gross. It was so cute to watch the baby try to stand right after it was born. It is so amazing how their instincts just take over... the mother's and the baby's. It was truly a miracle, and something I was glad that I was able to see. Brandon's seen a bunch, but he still acted excited for us.

6 comments:

Holly said...

Oh how I remember the days! I am glad you got to see the miracle.

girlsmama said...

How cool! What an experience for your whole family.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I have to admit that that is something I don't care to see. But I am sure the kids loved it, as would mine if they had the chance.

Thanks for the one on one butt kicking today, I so needed it.

Brenda said...

I'll bet Cooper has it about right with the neat and gross part.

Mindy said...

Janice, if it makes you feel any better, I am completely exhausted right now. I had to clean a house after our 1 1/2 hours of workout torture, so my body is really feeling it.

Heather said...

Mindy! Wow, I'm not sure exactly how I found this -- but I'd love to get back in touch!

you can check out my blog at www.babymakesthree-sf.com

Heather Hadaway Beckstead