Thursday, June 05, 2008

Fantasy Canyon

We went on a little family drive to a place near here called Fantasy Canyon. It's a place that really seems make believe! (If you want to see more cool pictures, and find out more about it, just google fantasy canyon. There's lots of stuff out there.) It's a fun little place to take kids, and it was amazing how many different countries people came from who signed the guest registry! I guess it's more famous than I knew. I hadn't heard of it before Brandon took us there. When we were leaving we saw these horses. Update: We found out they really ARE wild horses. Tyler stuck his head out the window and got some pictures (I'm demoted to the back seat now, since Tyler's cast doesn't fit.)


We decided we didn't need to go to Arches now, since we've seen the miniature version.
These formations are amazing! It's so strange how something like this can be in the middle of nowhere. There's a lot of smooth places like this, and there are "canyons" here and there with the weird castle-like formations.

Can you guess who this one is? Da-da... da-da... (how on earth do you type the music from "Jaws"?)
My kids thought some of these looked like dinosaur bones.
Tyler was a good sport, and really did well navigating on his crutches. He went up hills and everything.
There were some spots that could not be navigated by crutches, so this is how Tyler travelled.
Oh, hello! Here are my lilacs on the table. Sorry for the random picture. Pretty, though, aren't they?
Aubrey took some of these pictures... that's why I'm actually in one! there were rock pathways like this that showed you where to go, and they had little markers (Cooper is looking at one) that told you where rocks that looked like something in particular were. It reminded me of looking at clouds.... trying to figure out what the shapes looked like.
I can't remember what this one was supposed to be, so you all have to figure it out. Let's see who out of all my readers is the most creative! Put your suggestions in the comments, and I'll choose the winner. Sorry, no prizes. Just bragging rights. ;)

14 comments:

Karey said...

Very cool pictures. It looks like a fun place to visit. We went to Goblin Valley a few years ago (I think that's not too far from you, is it?) and we loved it. Neat formations. Its an amazing world.

Tari said...

it's a duck, I'm sure of it.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I agree.. it looks like a duck. I love it there. We haven't been since Taylor was little. I think we may need to drive out there on Sunday after church now. Fun. See you in 15 min at the walking park.:)

Rachel Holloway said...

What an AWESOME PLACE! Totally jealous! Sounds like a great day to play--

and I have ABSOLUTELY no ida what that last pic might be...maybe when my head stops pounding I can concentrate more. :)

Annalee Kelly said...

I'm going with my gut feeling -- that one is Pinnocchio! (sp?)
Mindy, I truly think Utah is one of the earth's greatest treasures..how many places on earth have so much natural diversity? You are so lucky! And Lilacs are my favorite flower!

Anonymous said...

I think it's Mike from Monsters Inc blowing a trumpet....isn't he the round one eye green one? anyway....thats what i think it looks like! And whoo-hoo for getting a picture of yourself! I was actually just thinking that if anyone wanted to make anything with recent pics of me....theyd have to look long and hard and STILL come up with nada!

Adam Howell said...

I'm going with the winged sea horse and his buddy Duffus, the bear (on the right).

Brenda said...

It's obviously the one-armed man.

girlsmama said...

I'm voting seahorse too! The flowers are gorgeous. I love lilacs!

Holly said...

I believe it is a sea horse.

Mindy said...

Oooh, some amazing and creative guesses there! I'm going to have to declare ADAM the winner, since he named not just one, but TWO formations. Good job, Adam! Now you can say all this college learnin' was worth it!

Felicia H. said...

oh man i didn't get to guess

Leslie said...

that looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

wow. what a great place. we love goblin valley. this reminds me of that except gray and sharp stones. not rounded off ones like in goblin valley. do i sound retarded?
Beautiful flowers. I wish I would think of things like putting them in a pitcher. I just think...flowers, vase. Hmmm....I should look around my house and get creative.