Friday, October 16, 2009

Ah... the Beautiful Music

I heard there was a real live pianist performing in Vernal tonight, so I grabbed a date (Tyler :) and enjoyed a night of beautiful piano music. The performer was Kirill Gliadkovsky, and he was wonderful. I loved his humorous little music history lessons that he shared between pieces in his delightful Russian accent, and his playing was flawless. It was fun to watch his hands "pop" off of the piano, and his fingers float through those trills and runs like it was nothing. He played pieces by Brahms, Gershwin, Grieg, Gottschalk, and Bach. The whole thing was inspiring... it made me want to get my violin out and just play. I don't play very often for myself anymore, and I don't listen to music just to listen much anymore either. Isn't it sad? I wish there would've been more people there. It made me sad to see so many empty seats. I kept thinking what a great Friday night activity it was... great for families, great for a date, great for somewhere to go all by yourself... I'm so glad we went.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Sounds fun. I would definitely go see that. What Grieg piece did he play?

leslie mae said...

I love it too!! I've seen Jon Schmidt a couple times in the last year, he's fun. I'm glad you took one of your kids; I saw George Winston when I was a kid and I'll never forget it. I just read The 5 Browns {fun} and now I am convinced that I HAVE to see them live! Check out their website & see their videos... AMAZING!!!

Mindy said...

Jason, he played Sonata Op. 7 in E minor. It was beautiful!

Leslie, we have a 5 Browns cd... it would be awesome to see them in concert!!