Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekend of Epiphany

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. -2 Timothy 4:7

I need to be able to say that I HAVE fought a good fight... that I've kept the faith, and not wavered because of hard things... I want to be proud of the way that I acted through trials, not ashamed.



My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands. -D&C 121:7-9

Moment... that word really stuck out to me. The scripture emphasizes that it is a SMALL moment, but the thing that seemed most important to me, is that it is a moment... a piece of time that COUNTS, that MATTERS. Am I going to endure it well? Or muddle through? And boy, do my friends ever stand by me... how blessed am I? If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...

there is something you must always remember.

You are braver than you believe,

stronger than you seem,

and smarter than you think...

but the most important thing is,

even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.

-Winnie the Pooh


This poem was on the program for the funeral I attended on Saturday for a good friend, great man, and wonderful husband. I had so many thoughts... how I don't want to waste one more day of my life being apart from my best friend, my husband, but if I do have to, it isn't forever... it isn't even for the rest of my life... it's only for a bit. And I can be braver, stronger, and smarter than I think I am. He'll always be with me. For eternity. How great is that?

Please remember, this life is tough and has challenges, but we can still choose to be happy. We can still choose to be kind and loving and charitable. We can still choose to contribute. We can still choose to be a part of what matters most- our relationships with our families and our Father in Heaven and His Son.


This was written by a cousin... I hope he doesn't mind that I posted it here. It was such a huge reminder to me that my wallowing in self pity has been a CHOICE. Yes, things are tough. Yes, life kinda sucks right now, but I can CHOOSE if I'm going to be happy through it or not. What if I choose not to? Will this time go by faster? Will it be a more meaningful experience? I'm thinking not. This is a time when I can grow closer to my Father in Heaven... do I want to waste that precious learning experience?
Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear; But with joy wend your way.


Though hard to you this journey may appear, Grace shall be as your day.


'Tis better far for us to strive Our useless cares from us to drive;


Do this, and joy your hearts will swell- All is well! All is well!


Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard? 'Tis not so; all is right.


Why should we think to earn a great reward If we now shun the fight?


Gird up your loins; fresh courage take. Our God will never us forsake;


And soon we'll have this tale to tell-- All is well! All is well!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

all of these thoughts shared are a huge reminder to me that i have a good life! despite the same trials over and over again, i am so blessed that its ridiculous! i need to read this once each week so that i can have some sense knocked into me...cause that's how often i need it. it doesn't just matter that we plug along and get through things...HOW we get through things matters too. love you, cuz.

Shannon said...

I needed this. A lot. So thank you, thank you. And thanks for letting me share some thoughts with you earlier in the week. I think I mostly needed to just tell someone else what I needed to hear myself - do you ever do that? All IS well... Here's to a great week...

Alison said...

I love coming across these little reminders to keep us going through the tough times in life. I have been finding them lots lately. You are amazing. Thanks for this post.

Tari said...

I was up this morning reading my scriptures...it's been a while, anyways I was thinking of you and what a great example you are to me. I love ya lots and I'm sorry things have been so difficult lately. You are truly an amazing person!

Felicia said...

Great thoughts! I've been thinking of you so much, and just haven't come up with anything I can do...but please know I am thinking about you. I tried for over an hour the other day to put a song on my blog that I wanted to "dedicate" to you, but I couldn't get it to work. So here are the lyrics:

When You Least Expect It
by Hilary Weeks

It’s been raining for days
With no sign of it letting up
And all I can think about
Is how much I miss the sun

The sound is almost hypnotizing
Pounding on the pavement
And drop by drop I forget
How good the sun feels on my face

Then through the shadows
Beyond the clouds
A ray of light hits my window
I can’t believe it,
but I can see it
Right in front of my eyes

And that’s when it happens
When you least expect it
When it feels like the storm
will never end
That’s when it happens
Light cuts through the darkness
And heaven surprises you
When you least expect it

I quit counting the hours
I’ve prayed for answers
I can’t help wondering
How long will I have to wait?
And why is heaven silent
While I’m running out of words?

I keep on knocking
But nobody hears me
Standing at the door

Then through the shadows
Beyond the cloud
Heaven sends the answer
I can’t believe it,
but I can feel it
Deep inside of my heart

And that’s when it happens
When you least expect it
And you know God’s heard
every prayer
That’s when it happens
Love breaks through the darkness
And heaven surprises you
When you least expect it

carol said...

Amen! Life is good, even the bittersweet parts. Thanks for the reminders. You rock!

Annalee Kelly said...

You are so articulate. I love your thoughts.

Those Darn Calls said...

Mindy, you are so inspirational! Don't forget that it is also your example to others as you endure hardship that is an amazing part of our earthly existence. Darlin, we DO stand by you and "hail you again with warm hearts and friendly hands." You are so loved because you are you, regardless of what is happening in your life.

Rachel Holloway said...

sigh....

Mindy, thank you for sharing this. You really know how to make things better. :) THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Tanya said...

hey mindy..thank you for this. my life has pretty much sucked the past while too, and my husband keeps telling me the same things you have written here. Thank you for reminding me that I have a CHOICE! You're awesome!

nikib4kids said...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Those words are something that I really need to hear right now. They really hit me where I need it. I hope things get better for you in your moment! But I'm glad that you are looking for the good things and the lessons that need to be learned. It's something that lately I'm really trying to do and to have a good friend who is doing it and sharing it so beautifully with all of us is very inspiring to me! ((Hugs))