Do you know who this is? If you don't know, read on to find out...My cousin sent me this email, and it really got to me... perhaps because I am a violinist, but I think mostly because I know I often am too hurried to enjoy life... BUT, this I know... I would've stopped and listened.
Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.
4 minutes later:The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.
6 minutes:A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.
10 minutes:A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.
45 minutes:The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.1 hour:He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.
No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.
This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?
One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.... How many other things are we missing?
8 comments:
I love this story. I need to stop and smell the roses a little bit more! :)
I've read that before, but never actually seen it. Thanks for sharing!
OH MY GOSH...what an awesome story! i love things like that, they make you think about things a little differently.
it's a lesson that i, unfortunately, have to keep learning day after day. i'd like to think that i would stop to listen to that amazing music though. speaking of appreciating beauty, your photography site looks fabulous.
THANK YOU...this really made my day. What an amazing story...
thank you for sharing this. I loved it. What a great story, I know I need to stop and listen and recognize.. more often.
that is a beautiful story, Man if I was there I would have stood the entire time he played and listened! I would have loved to have seen his violin.. that would have been a real treat. Thanks for shareing.
wow...what an eye opener. thanks mindy!!!
Post a Comment