Thursday, May 01, 2008

Bunco...Happy to Sad


Last night I got to have a much needed girls night out! Janice asked if I'd be a sub in their bunco game, and I jumped at the chance! I wanted to go bad enough that I would miss America's Next Top Model, and American Idol, without a second thought. ;) It was so much fun, and I loved every minute! It did make me kind of sad, though, because it made me think of friends I don't live by anymore. Our last day in Rigby, I didn't feel very sad, and didn't have a hard time leaving my house. Then I went to say goodbye to my friend Annette. I had a hard time when I left HER house... thinking about all those times of just walking right into each others' houses... just sitting in Annette's kitchen chatting about whatever. Annette was the kind of friend that I could go borrow her crock pot when she wasn't home, and I didn't even ask. She was the kind of friend who would ask me to drive her sons to football and baseball practice, and it wasn't a big deal at all. She was the kind of friend who I could call and ask to record a show that I didn't want to miss. She was the kind of friend who would run in the early hours of the morning with me, and fend off the big dogs. She was the kind of friend that would pick something up from the store for me, or ask me to pick up something for her. She is the kind of friend that still has me in her top 5 (or 10 or whatever) on her phone, so she can call me anytime. It's hard having our friendship long distance like this, because it was centered so much around life, and helping each other. Sigh. I guess that's life, and you move, and it stinks. I wanted to put a picture of Annette on this post... but I don't have any. Not even one. How can you spend so much time with someone for years and never have one picture together?

6 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

What a blessing to have annette in your life -- I've found that I have 4 friends in Utah who I cried when I moved up here. Gratefully, those 4 are the girls i can go weeks without talking to, and just pick up where we left off. I trust them and they trust me, and i know I can depend on them emotionally when I need a good laugh or cry over the phone even though I can't go to Cafe Rio with them anymore... You go girl on Bunco! Have you made any friends you "click" with down there? I am sad I didn't hang out with you more here -- I have developed such a deeper respect and admiration for you through the blogging, not to mention your sense of humor (the hula hip thing and the more you know, etc.:) ) You are loved!
Can you email me so I get your address again? last week our entire hard drive crashed and NONE of our data was saved...like from the last 3 years of our life...family pictures, tax info, all our finances, my teaching stuff, you name it...my dear husband hadn't backed up anything on a disc... as of last night we're doing carbonite.com! Sigh. I have no email address, so please email me! Sorry for the lengthy comment, you super gal. i love ya.

Janice {Run Far} said...

What a great shout out to your girl friend Annette. I have a couple of friends like that right here where we live, in fact we were at her house last night for bunco, she would do anything for anyone and anytime. I promise you will find a friend like that here too. Maybe not right off but you will. And thanks again for subbing at bunco, aren't we a bunch of nuts?

Felicia H. said...

I have never had a friend like that, except my amazing husband but thats differant. You were lucky to have her

haley said...

that makes me want to cry... i have a friend like that. she moved to NM for a few years and it was almost weird how when she moved back it was like nothing had ever changed. it makes me appreciate her more. good luck in the friend department, bunco is always a good night out- plus you get to see all the crazy sides of people!

Rachel Holloway said...

I long for a friend like that---and I think it is so wonderful you had her (have her) in your life! What a blessing!!

And bunco--that must be all the Utah craze because I don't know a SOUL who is into it out here...but I have a few Utah friends that do it like crazy!

:) Sounds fun though--wish I could do a virtual bunco game with you--you know, over web cams. :)

Mindy said...

Janice... not too nutty! Just right! Rachel, the first time I played Bunco was in California with my sister, so I don't know if it's just a Utah thing. Hmmm... a virtual bunco game. Could be interesting! ;)