This photo really doesn't have much to do with this post... except that I recently posted it on facebook and got so many great encouraging comments about it. That makes me happy... that makes my day brighter.
So, here's the thing. I spent a good share of my summer trying to decide if I share too much about myself online, and trying to figure out if the way I use the internet has hurt my relationships, or helped my relationships. And I think I've got it figured out... at least for myself. I'm definitely not saying that this is how everyone should use social media... I'm just saying this is how I use it.
Overall, my relationships have been strengthened because of blogging and facebook. There are the few people that it has not been a good thing with, but when I look at the big picture, I realize that I wouldn't want to give up the good things, because of a few miscommunications. Miscommunications happen in real life too. All the time.
What about privacy? Well, some things I don't share as much anymore... like my workouts. I've decided that will be more for me, and the few who really care. But ultimately, I'm just an open person. I share things, because I love and trust people. Do I get burned? Yep, sometimes I do. Do I have friends who are close to my heart because of it? Have I helped others who are going through similar things because of my openness at times? Yep, more often than not. I am still private about some things, and with some people, but I'm going to share what I want, and not worry about the few who won't like me because of it.
Some people are up in arms about the new facebook and the privacy issues there. Here's my take: facebook isn't meant to be private. Whoa. I know. It's a weird concept. If you have private things to share with others, or record for yourself, you do it in a private message, or in your own journal. Facebook can be an amazing way to share GOOD. I wanted lots of people to watch the RS General Broadcast... I shared the link and had so many people thank me for sharing it. If I "like" something, or comment on something, and someone discovers a good quote, or an inspiring story, or has a good laugh because of it, I think that's a good thing. And yes, like I said before, some are going to find fault with the things I like or say, but the majority won't.
Anyway, I've heard so much negative about facebook lately, that I wanted to put another perspective out there. I've made so many new friends, become closer to my friends, ward members, and neighbors, been inspired and enlightened, discovered things I never would've found on my own, and reconnected with cousins and friends that I probably wouldn't even know anything about it it weren't for facebook. What if, instead of being afraid of it, and jumping ship, and wanting everyone to hide everything we do... we used facebook to lift each other up? To encourage and to cheer? To share things that touch and inspire us? To connect and show love?

12 comments:
I love this take, and I have to say I feel very much the same. I've been upset about the whole change in Facebook because it's so very UN-user friendly now and hard to keep up on the same way I used to. Can't change the changes they're making. :) But I do agree that so many good things can be shared via facebook and blogging. I have definitely been a little more guarded in what I say or do online, maybe because I am just more AWARE. But I still share, probably too much at times. :) Just is all about finding the happy medium...
it's a good place.
ANd I am glad you've found it. :)
I LOVE these thoughts! As you know, I am a sharer. I think my thoughts, my experiences, my struggles, and my joys can bless other people's lives and so I share them. I want to invite people in to my life, not shut them out. It is possible that I DO hurt others or offend them, but I think it is rare and in the big picture, sharing is definitely worth it for me.
The good things you mentioned have kept me from deleting my account many times. The only thing that would make it better is a timer or set limit it lets me log on or something. I am totally unproductive.;)
There's a new facebook? Obviously I haven't checked my account recently. Honestly, I don't know if I'd even notice the difference. ;)
I'm glad you share as openly as you do. I think you're fabulous.
So I just checked it out. I actually like the new format. Go figure.
Dito to everything you wrote
I love FB for all the same reasons. The only issues I have with it, are that they change things and then I have to re-learn how to make it work for me. I know, lazy... ;)
I share my workouts from dailymile to fb because my familes members there in Utah like to hear about it. I haven't felt any negative fall out from it, like it sounds you have. I'm sorry for that.
I don't share any of my personal thoughts and feelings on FB or my blog. I am really nervous about putting my heart out there and having people judge me or spread visious rumors that they make up from the few words I do share. I figure that for the BIG things in my life, if I want you to know my deep dark, inner most feelings, then chances are we actually talk on the phone, text or email.
I view FB as a media to reconnect with old school friends... keep in some sort of contact, and to catch the great links that my super awesome friends post.
You're the best... I love your posts, and I have missed your workout posts hitting FB. I don't read dailymile very often. i guess I am gonna need to stalk your workouts on DM. ;)
well lady we wouldn't know each other if it weren't for the www...and my life would not be the same if i hadn't met you and the other girls i have met through apron girls. i love you, i love your honesty and that you share your feelings and thoughts. it's like you said, you can offend people in face to face conversations just as easily as you can online.;D
keep being yourself because you are an amazing lady!
I'm glad that I deactivated while I was in school. I don't have a minute to waste while I'm trying to keep up with everything, and it's better to just completely remove the temptation. But when I'm not in school, I've found that it's nice to keep in touch with friends. One thing that I did was go through my friends list and delete anyone that I hadn't talked to in person or on the phone or emailed within 3 months. With a smaller circle, I feel more comfortable sharing and using it to communicate.
Hey if it weren't for blogging and FB we wouldn't have reconnected....lets just think about that shall we. :)
I could hug you right now. That's how much I love this post. I say ditto, ditto, ditto...ditto. By the way, I miss seeing all of your workouts. I always found them quite inspiring.
I think our friendship has become because of facebook/dailymile. You have inspired me in ways I can't describe. I remember sitting by you in church one day and you said you ran 3 miles. I was so in awe that a person could actually run 3 miles and not die. And here I am a Marathon and several Half Marathons later thanks to you. We may never be friends that chat on the phone or go out to eat. But I consider you my friend for the encouraging words that you share each day thanks to social media. You truly are a person that I look up to and admire.
Post a Comment