Sunday, November 11, 2007

Home!

This is it! The soon to be home of the Smith Family! These pictures are from the mls photos, so none of it is my stuff. (Although I would like her to leave most of it!)
This is the parlor. It will be the dining room, with my antique hutch. The arched doorway on the right goes into the kitchen.
This is actually kind of a silly picture, because it only shows the owners cute decorations, and not the house. But, it gives you a feel, I guess.
This is the family room. The door you see ahead is the door to the "master suite". I LOVE the wood floors!
This is the family room, with a view of the bay window.
The hot tub alcove. Yes, it comes with a hot tub. We don't quite know what to think about that, but maybe we'll end up loving it. The red door on the left goes into the "master suite". (If you're wondering why I'm putting that in quotation marks, you'll just have to come visit us and see for yourself!)
The "master suite"... that red door is yet ANOTHER door to the outside. It's an old house...remember...quirks?
This is the kitchen. It is actually cuter in real life than it looks here, and you can't see the darling red pantry cupboard next to the fridge.
This will be Aubrey's bedroom. Her bedroom is right off the kitchen, which will work out nicely, since she will be the maid.
Somewhere in the backyard. I can't even explain this back yard to you, but it is so neat!
A front view. It's hard to tell what it looks like with the trees in front of it, but it's darling!


I went down on Friday and Saturday, and we looked at all sorts of houses. A few good, and a lot bad. Really bad. When I saw this house, I was done. I was ready to sign the papers, because I am one of those weird people who loves a house that has been around for over a century. I love a house with history, a house that has seen the world change. I love a house that feels like it loves you as much as you love it. We looked at a few more houses after that, just to be sure, and I tried to keep an open mind, but they really were not any comparison anyway.
There are the few quirks that come along with an old house... one of the bathrooms is off the kitchen, both bathrooms are tiny. I'm not kidding. Tiny. Only one bedroom has a closet. (I'm deciding that is a bonus... I get to go get some darling old fashioned armoires!) There are some other things, but those are probably the biggies. And I need time and room to tell you about the things that I LOVE!

It has a front porch! The kind that you can live on, and put furniture on, and love! The windows are tall with cute simple old trim around them. No more aluminum uglies for me! This house has so much charm, and all of my "antiques" will be right at home here. I'm excited to work WITH a house, instead of against it! The yard is great... even right now when it is definitely past it's summertime glory. There are fruit trees in abundance... cherry, apple, pear, walnut, black walnut, apricot, three kinds of plum, and concord grapes...I think that's all...I might have missed something. It's on 1/2 an acre, and is pretty secluded, which will be nice.

It's in the "city", which is the biggest drawback for Brandon. I would rather it be in the country, for sure, but I grew up a city girl, so I can see the advantages too. We are within walking distance of the temple, church, parks, and close enough to Brandon's work (minutes away) that he can pop home for dinner if he's having a busy day, and still go back to work.

I can't wait for all those I love to come visit us and see our little cottage... but don't be expecting the "guest suite" that we have had. You'll have to sleep on an air mattress in the family room, and use one of our miniature bathrooms! But, you'll feel right at home, we promise!

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm happy for you that you found a house you like so much!

Kate said...

I'm so happy that you found such a cute house! But I still think it's rotten that you're moving. I will miss you so much!

Karey said...

It looks cute. I, too, love the wood floors. It's a great feeling when you have to find a house and you KNOW when you've found it. Good luck with the move. Hope everything turns out perfectly! Love you,

Anonymous said...

It looks so darling. I would love to see it!! A house with character is always great. Good luck with the move!

The Oylers said...

Oh I love it! I am so glad that you guys found something so great, so fast! I am jealous though, seems how we still have not found one, but I guess ours is not an emergency and yours is. It just looks like you guys and I really can't wait until I have a chance to see it in real life. You know you will have to take lots of pics when you move in so I can see it with your stuff and visualize it better. Oh I am so happy for you.

Hannah

Lisa said...

love, love, LOVE it!!! oh mindy...seriously. the porch, the character & charm of it, the yard!! it sounds like my dream too...i am so happy for you. keep us updated!

Leslie said...

wow... i really loved hearing you talk about your new home. i want to someday feel that way about a home. i love our home right now, but i have never felt like we were HOME here in lehi. i don't know why. so, you have made me excited to have that happen for us someday.