Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Who Let the Dogs Out?

Now is as good a time as ever to share my dog stories, right? I have a problem with dogs. A big problem. I don't like them anymore. I was never a big dog fan, but now I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to dogs. I already shared the bite in the bum story, which was fun, so I thought I'd share a few more canine incidents.

I decided for awhile that I should try to get our chocolate lab, Trout, to learn to run with me. He weighs almost what I do, so this is a little tricky. I had to take him on a leash, and I think my arms got more of a workout than my legs. So, this one time, I'm running along the road, and this neighbor's dog (most annoying dog EVER) runs out and starts running around me in circles. So, of course, Trout has to chase him. Can you see where this is going? I could too, but it happened too fast for me to do anything about it. The leash is wrapped around me, and Trout bolts off. My legs came right out from under me, and I landed directly on my bum cheek. Hard. I had the biggest bruise forever! Needless to say, that was Trout's last run with me.

Then another time, I'm running down the road, blissfully enjoying my music, and all of a sudden, there's a dog at my feet. It's a little teeny yippy thing, and I screamed and jumped about a mile UP. It was such a loud scream, and I was so embarrassed because the owners were sitting right there on their lawn. I didn't even look at them. I just kept on running. Stupid yippy dogs.

A scary time was when I was running on a new road that I hadn't been on before, and all of a sudden about 20 dogs (okay, it seemed like 20...it was probably more like 8) start running out at me barking. I'm really thinking this is the end of my life, and I had no idea what I was going to do. How do you fight off 20 (okay, 8!) dogs at once? Right about when I saw my life flash before my eyes, the owner comes out and calls them back. I was a little shaky running for awhile, but I made it home.

Well, there are a million more dog encounters, but that's the basic idea. Most of the time I can get them to stay back with my yelling and rock threatenings. I only actually ever hit a dog with a rock once. Not for lack of trying...I'm just a really bad aim. The one time I hit one, though, was right between the eyes. Totally coincidental, I know, but it looked like I meant to! That dog leaves me alone now. Mr. Blue Eyes says to kick the dogs, but I do NOT want to let a dog get that close to me!

No comments: